29 Sep How to De- Stress your Cat
Posted at 16:58h in Cats
Cats are prone to Stress / Anxiety– especially those in multi-cat households! Here are some tips to help reduce your cat’s stress level.
- 1.Create high places and private spaces for your cat
- 2.Create a refuge where your cat can feel safe
- 3.Follow these litter box tips:
- Provide one per cat plus one additional in your home
- Place in a location where there are multiple entries and exits if your home has more than one pet
- Should be at least 1.5x your cat’s body length
- Scoop at least once daily
- Clean once a week with mild detergent, rinse and dry throughly then fill with clean litter
- 4.Place litter boxes far from food bowls and in quiet places
- 5.Praise good behavior – don’t punish your cat for accidents
- 6.Give your cat something to scratch, which releases pheromones and makes her feel happy
- 7.Keep her in shape – overweight cats can’t move or jump
- 8.Create a play area with toys and other items to keep her active. Giving her things to hunt in the house helps relieve pent up needs.
- 9.Indoor cats can get bored, so give yours a view of the world outside
- 10.If you have more than one cat, make sure you have enough food, water, litter boxes and safe places for everyone
- 11.Consider Feliway “happy kitty pheromones” in diffusers around the house or in your cat’s favorite room.
- 12.Talk to your veterinarian about the following therapies:
- “Composure” Nutritional supplement with L- theanine
- “Zylkene” Nutritional supplement with caseine
- Hills c/d Multicare Stress formula food
- Psychoactive medications as a last resort